Ecoexist Trust are facilitating private sector support for community-based tourism and other opportunities for people to gain economic benefits from living in close proximity to elephants – establish an Elephant Economy.
It is important to find ways to improve and diversify livelihoods, this involves increasing benefits from living with live elephants, encouraging people to be safe around elephants, and facilitating elephant themed enterprise development. This will contribute to improved perceptions and stewardship among communities, and reduce vulnerability to engage in wildlife crime.
Your support could help Ecoexist Trust deliver the following:
- $2,000 – Small grants for “Life With Elephants” enterprises
- $10,000 – Communications office for marketing elephant-based tourism activities
- $10,000 – “Life With Elephants” tour group support to improve management and marketing of a community based enterprise
- $10,000 – Yikote basket weavers and other craft group support to improve marketing of products
- $25,000 – Market links, transport and storage inputs for “Elephant Aware” farmers
- $30,000 – “Life With Elephants” cultural event in the Okavango Delta
- $30,000 to $100,000 – Elephant viewing platform to bring benefits back to the community from tourists viewing elephants on the corridors