Herds for Growth is a project that works to create the best cattle management across all conservancies that neighbour the Maasai Mara.
The model allows landowners sufficient income to carry on their Maasai culture and livelihood whilst supporting the co-existence of livestock and wildlife within this unique eco-system.
So far, the project has improved cattle health and condition with collective herd management. Increased rangeland biomonitoring scores by 14% compared to control and supported contributions in excess of $80,000.
Herds for Growth Key goals:
- To work with Enonkishu conservancies and neighbouring conservancies to support 250 breeding cows and 200 calves maturing.
- To support the management all cattle on Enonkishu Conservancy with local member satisfaction.
- To be on track for 30 sales of male cows in 2021.
- To inspire 2 other conservancies to adopt our best practice grassland and cattle management.
- To be on track to deliver $50,000 income support to community by 2024.
For the full Herds for Growth report, click here or on the image below.